Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Happy Birthday, America


Every year I find myself amazed during fireworks. Not because of the stellar light show, the sparklers, or the ability of so many Minnesotans to attain illegal fireworks--no--I'm amazed by how EVERYONE somehow knows exactly when to "ooh" and "ahh". I mean, as far as I know, there is no code (red=ooh, fizzy=ahh), no pattern (ooh-ahh-ooh-ooh...?) and no real rules. However, anywhere I've ever watched the fireworks the crowd collectively "oohs" or "ahhs" in unison at each individual firework. I can only assume this particular instinct is something we are born with, thanks to evolution since the Revolution. Pay attention next year and you too will be amazed...

Anyway, one year ago today-ish I got my camera. I only remember, because I was SO excited to take pictures of the fireworks on the fourth, only to find out I had absolutely NO idea how to make it...well...good (or even visible).

This year, I fared a little better. 


We spent the evening celebrating with tacos, macaroni salad and beer. It was quite festive. Look at the display of Red, White and Blue...

And so much good grub (thanks to Beth for throwing a wonderful celebration).
I asked Kristen, Jake and Sam to display their patriotism. And later the guys busted out cigars to celebrate the birth of America, just like proud fathers (though as far as I can tell, they played no part in the birthing of this nation... "yep, it's about 4500 km long").  




















No comments:

Post a Comment